THE ROLE OF THE COUNSELOR
Classroom Guidance- I am in each classroom every other week to teach guidance classes to all students. The classes cover such topics as Bullying, Study Skills, and Career Development.
Small Groups- I work with small groups of students on a variety of topics. Groups may include family changes, grief and loss, social skills, friendship, and test taking skills among others.
Individuals- I work with individual students on an as needed basis. Students can be referred to me by a teacher, a parent, or the student themselves.
Parents and Staff- I work with parents to help them better understand their child's growth and development and how to help them be successful in school. I also work with staff to coordinate services for students and serve as a consultant on issues students may be facing.
WHEN SHOULD YOU CALL A COUNSELOR?
- When your child is having difficulty learning.
- When family changes interfere with academic progress.
- When your child needs extra help adjusting to school.
- When you want to arrange a meeting with several teachers or with both a teacher and a counselor.
- When you need help interpreting tests and school records and to track school progress.
- When you want to discover available community resources and agencies for your student or your family.